Dead Disk Update

In the end, I only lost two sectors: one in the middle of an ISO file in my home directory, another somewhere in my DocumentRoot. Both files were easily recoverable. The affected file systems are now safely parked on a mirror while I get the new array up and running.

ZFS proved uncooperative at first: I had trouble getting a consistent and up-to-date set of patches, and every time I tried to create a file system and copy data over, it would panic. Pawel and I tracked it down to zfs_reclaim(), and finally figured out that it was caused by zfs_reclaim() calling vdropl() directly instead of vdrop(). The thing is that vdropl() is actually private to vfs_subr.c, and declared static; the code just happened to build and work because ZFS was being built with most warnings turned off, and most testers didn’t set CPUTYPE. Giving vdropl() external linkage and a prototype in vnode.h put an end to the kernel panics.

Oh, and by the way, bunnies are cute.

2 thoughts on “Dead Disk Update”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

To create code blocks or other preformatted text, indent by four spaces:

    This will be displayed in a monospaced font. The first four 
    spaces will be stripped off, but all other whitespace
    will be preserved.
    
    Markdown is turned off in code blocks:
     [This is not a link](http://example.com)

To create not a block, but an inline code span, use backticks:

Here is some inline `code`.

For more help see http://daringfireball.net/projects/markdown/syntax

 

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.